NONLINEAR DYNAMICS IN PHOTONICS
NEW WEBSITE: http://photonics.georgiatech-metz.fr/
Coordinators : Alexandre Locquet and David. S. Citrin
° Experimental Nonlinear Dynamics of Laser Diodes ° Communication Using Chaotic Waveforms - Random Numbers
° Computation with Nonlinear Systems ° Optical Sensing using Laser Diodes/ Biofilm Sensing
° Nanophotonics ° Compressive Sensing
- Byungchil (Bobby) Kim (Ph.D. Student)
- Daeyoung Choi (Ph.D. student)
- Jacob Keilman (Ph.D. student, Chateaubriand fellow @ Ecole Polytechnique)
- Ted Chang (Ph.D. student, starting February 2015)
- Michael J Wishon (Ph.D. student)
- Chaewon Ban
- David Cho
- Matthew Lee
- D. Rontani, D. Choi, C.Y. Chang, A. Locquet, and D.S. Citrin, "Compressive Sensing with Optical Chaos", Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group) 6, 35206 (2016). Impact Factor: 5.3.
Experimental Nonlinear Dynamics of Laser Diodes
- A. Locquet, B. Kim, D. Choi, N. Li, and D.S. Citrin, "Initial-State Dependence of the Route to Chaos of an External-Cavity Laser", to appear in Phys. Rev. A (2017).
- C.Y. Chang, D. Choi, A. Locquet, M.J. Wishon, K. Merghem, A. Ramdane, F. Lelarge, A. Martinez, and D.S. Citrin, "A Multi-GHz chaotic optoelectronic oscillator based on laser terminal voltage", Appl. Phys. Lett. 108, 191109 (2016). Impact Factor: 3.3.
- D. Choi, M.J. Wishon, J. Barnoud, C. Y. Chang, Y. Bouazizi, A. Locquet, and D. S. Citrin, "Low-frequency fluctuations in an external-cavity laser leading to extreme events", Phys. Rev. E 93, 042216 (2016). Impact Factor: 2.3.
- B. Kim, A. Locquet, D. Choi, and D.S. Citrin, "Experimental Route to Chaos of an External-Cavity Semiconductor Laser", Phys. Rev. A 91, 061802(R) (2015). Impact Factor 2.99.
- N. Li, L. Zunino, A. Locquet, B. Kim, D. Choi, W. Pan, and D.S. Citrin, "Multiscale Ordinal Symbolic Analysis of the Lang-Kobayashi Model for External Cavity Semiconductor Lasers: A Test of Theory", IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 51, 2200206 (2015). Impact Factor: 2.2.
- N.Li, W. Pan, A. Locquet, V.N. Chizhevsky, and D.S. Citrin, "Statistical Properties of an External-Cavity Semiconductor Laser: Experiment and Theory", IEEE J. of Sel. Top. in Quantum Electron. 21, 1800908 (2015). Impact Factor 3.46.
- B. Kim, N Li, A. Locquet, and D.S. Citrin, “Experimental bifurcation-cascade diagram of an external-cavity semiconductor laser”, Opt. Express 22, 2348 (2014). Impact Factor: 3.53.
- N.Li, B. Kim, A. Locquet, D. Choi, W. Pan, and D.S. Citrin, "Statistics of the optical intensity of a chaotic external-cavity DFB laser", Opt. Lett. 39, 5949 (2014). Impact Factor: 3.2.
- B. Kim, A. Locquet, N. Li, D. Choi, and D.S. Citrin, “Bifurcation-cascade diagram of an external-cavity semiconductor laser: experiment and theory”, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 50, 965 (2014). Impact Factor: 2.2.
- A. Sahai, B. Kim, D. Choi, A. Locquet, and D.S. Citrin, "Mapping the nonlinear dynamics of a laser diode via its terminal voltage", Opt. Lett. 39, 5630 (2014). (Sensing). Impact Factor: 3.2.
Communication with Chaotic Waveforms - Random Number Generation
- N. Li, W. Pan, A. Locquet, and D. S. Citrin, "Time-delay concealment and complexity enhancement of an external-cavity laser through optical injection", Opt.Lett. 40, 4416 (2015). Impact Factor: 3.2.
- N. Li, B. Kim, V.N. Chizhevsky, A. Locquet, M. Bloch, D.S. Citrin, and W. Pan, " Two approaches for ultrafast random bit generation based on the chaotic dynamics of a semiconductor laser", Opt. Express 22, 6634 (2014). Impact Factor: 3.53.
- M. Zhang, L. Zhang, J.C. Wu, S.J. Yang, X. Wan, Z.P. He, J.J. Jia, D.S. Citrin, and J.Y. Wang, "Detection and compensation of basis deviation in satellite-to-ground quantum communications", Opt. Express 22, 9871 (2014). Impact Factor: 3.53.
- J. Keilman, K. Caruso, and D.S. Citrin, "Vacancy-induced transmission in three-dimensional phonic crystal slabs", Opt. Lett. 40, 3105 (2015). Impact Factor: 3.2.
- H. Wu, D.S. Citrin, L. Jiang, X. Li, "Polarization-independent single-mode waveguiding with honeycomb photonic crystals", IEEE Phot. Tech Lett. 27, 840 (2015). Impact Factor 2.17.
- J. Hou, D.S. Citrin, Z. Cao, C. Yang, Z. Zhong, and S. Chen,"Slow Light in Square-Lattice Chalcogenide Photonic Crystal Holey Fibers", IEEE J. Sel. Top. in Quantum Electron. 22, 4900108 (2016). Impact Factor 3.46.
- V. Bèque, J. Keilamn, and D.S. Citrin, "Half-disordered photonic crystal slabs", Appl. Opt. 55, 6389 (2016).
THz science: our publications can be found here.
Participations in Conferences and Workshops
- ESLW 2016, Darmstadt, Germany.
- IS-PALD 2016, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- CLEO:2016, San Jose, USA.
- Photonics Europe 2016, Brussels, Belgium.
- Nanolight 2016, Benasque, Spain.
- NOLTA 2015, Hong Kong.
- Dynamics Days Europe 2015, Exeter, UK.
- IS-PALD 2015, Metz, France.
- Dynamics Days US, Atlanta, January 2014
- Rencontre du non-linéaire, Paris, March 2014
- Photonics Europe 2014, Brussels,Belgium, April 2014
- SIOE 2014, Cardiff, UK, April 2014
- Dynamics Days Europe, Bayreuth, Germany, September 2014
- Nonlinear Optics and Excitation Kinetics in Semiconductors, Bremen, Germany, September 2014
- International Conference on Emerging Electronics, Bangalore, India, December 2014
Context and Objectives
Engineering has been traditionally dominated by linear systems mainly because of their simplicity and predictability. Awareness is growing that nonlinear systems and their associated nonlinearity underlies a plethora of physical, biological, and social phenomena and is useful in building systems that provide superior flexibility compared to purely linear systems. Indeed, nonlinear systems can perform more complex operations than linear ones; this means that they are able to implement at the hardware level many of the operations that are typically devoted to offline post-processing in linear systems. We focus on charaterizing and making use of the nonlinear dynamics of one or more semiconductor lasers subjected to various perturbations such as optical feedback, optical injection from another laser, or current modulation.
Sreejith KR (MS student, Fall 2015-Spring 2016)
Anthony Agnesina (dual-degree MS student with Supélec, Spring 2016)
Aimee Gerold (Undergrad student, Fall 2015)
Bryan Wofford (Master student, Fall 2014-Spring 2015)
Chelsea Jean-Mary (Special Problem, Spring 2015)
Jules Barnoud (Special Problem, dual-degree MS student with Supélec, Spring 2015)
Guillaume Mourozeau (Special Problem, dual-degree MS student with Supélec,Spring 2015)
Vincent Bèque (Special Problem, dual-degree MS student with Supélec,Spring 2015)
Damien Rontani (Ph.D., now Professor at Supélec)
Nianqiang Li (visiting Ph.D. student in 2014)
Caitlin Morris (Undergrad, Fall 2014)
Oluwagbemiga Mabogunje (Undergrad, Fall 2014)
Antoine Frémont (Grad student, dual degree with Supélec, Spring 2014)
Keith Ng (Undergrad, Spring 2014)
Yathreb Boazizi (Grad Student, Spring-Summer 2014)
Hadrien Lanctuit (Grad student, dual degree with Supélec, Spring 2013)
Aakash Sahai (part-time student)
Joshua Winebarger (Grad student)
Chris Alberti (Grad student)
Derek Treatman (Grad student)
Xiao Liu (Grad student)
Vinod Ravindran (Intern)
Paul Baize (Grad Student)
Alexandre Locquet, alocquet at georgiatech-metz dot edu
See Also our Other Research Activity
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, the Conseil Régional de Lorraine, the National Science Foundation, and the Embassy of France in the United States.